Saturday, January 26, 2008


Here's the story: My pulse felt a bit fast this morning, and maybe I noticed it a bit yesterday too. Then I went to yoga today it felt even faster, and I wasn't doing anything but just puttering around the house. I finally looked into it and clocked my pulse at 128 (!!!!!!!!!) and, even after sitting down for awhile it was still like 95, which is WAY higher than I've ever had it when I was starting to go out of balance before and needed a dosage decrease. I finally decided to call the doctor office -- the answering service people, you know -- because it was starting to look a bit questionable, like do I go to the hospital or what?? The doctor was very good and called me back right away. He said he could prescribe one dose of a beta blocker (which he said would sort it out), but as I wasn't enthusiastic about that if he didn't feel it was absolutely necessary, he said I should be fine, as long as I just take it easy for today and just monitor it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Going forward, I'm not to take my medication for 3 days, then start up again, but at the lowered dosage. He bumps it down in half-dosage increments. The highest I had it (in October, I think, when I started this lifestyle shift) was 112/100 mcg on alternating days. With this lowering I'm down to 88 mcg every day.

My goal for the end of this March is to get it down to 75 mcg every day. I'm already half way there. I may be able to exceed that expectation even. This is my biggest desire, and the reason I entered the 90-day fitness challenge I've been participating in: to reverse this "irreversible" condition. And I'm doing it. As far as I'm concerned today, if I did nothing ELSE but get off these meds, that's FINE with me. Of course I think the increased fitness contributes to the healing, not only the dietary changes. I've made huge strides in that area over the last month, and I'll blog about that soon.

I am slowing the detox for the next few days while I get the heart rate down a bit. I just plan to eat vegan for the next few days. Then mid-week, assuming I'm stabilized, I will increase my raw intake again, to continue the process.

I've not been too into being regular with this blog lately, but plan to get back on it soon. In the meantime, know that I will keep you updated on developments.

In a nutshell, I'm still struggling with staying 100% raw, but I seem to be progressing at the rate that I should be progressing at nonetheless (any faster and I would need beta blockers). So everything's working out just fine and as it should be.


Sarah said...

Congrats on lowering your meds again!!! I'm sure you are excited. Keep up the good work!

Have a great weekend!

Carol H. said...

That is so great! I'm glad you're doing so well.

Sarah said...

You have been tagged for an Inspirational Blogger Award. Stop by Living the Fruity Life to learn more.


Azura Skye said...

Hey there - I've awarded you an Inspirational Blogger Award!

Pop over to my blog to check it out

: )

raw_veganlondoner said...

I have nominated you for an inspirational blogger award :) collect your award :)

britanie said...

Hey there, amazing blog!!!! I just read this post and am so happy to hear that you able to go lower on your Thyroid meds! I have been suffering with Thyroid issues for awhile now and have gained weight and none of my doctors can seem to figure out what is the right dose for me and it's getting so frustrating. I am hoping that sticking to 90% raw foods will really help my Thyroid.
Have any tips to help Thyroid? I am Hypothyroid... though I am known to switch to Hyper from time to time.

Stacy said...

It does definitely seem that the higher raw I go, the better off I am. I haven't managed sticking to it 100%, but I still think I'm better off for trying at all. I would just say keep doing your best to eat well and all it can do is help.

Best luck getting balanced. I know what a struggle it is.