Monday, October 22, 2007

Day 7: Keeping the momentum

Yesterday was really hard. I went to a party at my dad's house for all the people in my family who have Fall birthdays, including me. I had a nice time seeing everyone, and my 2 boys (ages 2 and 4) had a good time, but at this point in my 811 adventure (abbreviation for 80/10/10) it is not fun to go watch people eat a whole bunch of stuff that looks really yummy, like pasta with cheese sauce and chocolate cake. I wasn't really tempted, meaning I didn't ever think of eating it, no, but it was not a nice feeling, because it did look really good. I was very good in that I brought plenty of my own food to get me through it.

It's also hard because I feel that people don't really understand how I've come to the choice I have in diet. I feel like people think I'm just kind of nutty (no pun intended). Not that people are not supportive, because they are. But I think there's this all-pervasive feeling in our culture that if someone with an MD tells you that you're "incurable" that you're silly to think otherwise, and you're definitely silly if you think what you eat, more than anything else, affects your disease state. It does feel a lot like paddling upstream, but I've chosen my own boat, and I'm not getting out at this point.

Funny thing, I decided to eat more fat than usual at that party meal since my fat consumption has been about 6-8% for the last week. Decided to have some pine nuts, avocado, and a tad bit of olive oil on my salad. By the time I got to the bottom, where most of the pine nuts were, I looked at them and could not eat another bite, I felt so grossed out from all the fat. That was a surprise, especially considering how much I enjoyed that pound of Indian cheese I ate last week!

I had a teensy bit of balsamic vinegar on that salad too. Figured it was better than the chocolate cake, especially at this early in the game. I'm still clinging pretty tightly to my tea too. I love a warm drink in the morning, so I'm not ready to let this go just yet.

My mom asked me today if I ever thought I would go back to eating the other way. I said I really can't say at this point, but that I've definitely decided to give this one a good whirl before I give up. One day at a time, as they say, and I can't do more than that right now.

I've had a bout of feeling sleepy today, something that always frightens me a bit: I wonder whether I'm normal-sleepy, detox-sleepy, or sick-sleepy. I think there's a part of me that is scared that this drastic change in diet won't even touch my problems, but it's too early to make that determination.

Today's Stats
Weight: 112.0 (-3.8)
Body Fat: 22.4% (-1.2%)
Hydration: 53.1% (+.6%)
Food:
  • Peppermint tea with honey
  • 2 bananas
  • Smoothie of 1 lb strawberries with 2 dates
  • 4 red bananas
  • 1.5 cups sliced tomato, 3 gold kiwis (yum, never had those before!)
Exercise: Bikram yoga class, physical therapy exercises

No comments: