Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Day 9: But there are some good aspects to this! :-)

Just thought I'd give a little cheer for some of the good things that are happening as a result of this experiment.
  • My skin, which has plagued me for some time now, is starting to regain its moisture and to clear up.
  • I'm gaining some muscle from the exercising I'm doing.
  • My knees are WAY improved (from my 4-year-old tendinitis) from what they were several weeks ago. I attribute that to both my physical therapy exercises that I'm doing as well as the diet, which is perhaps reducing the inflammation a bit.
  • I've lost about 5 pounds.
  • My cravings are actually less, yes, I said it. But they're still there. I think it's OK as long as I'm not putting myself in harm's way...
Like last night ... I made a homemade pizza for my family. I've gotten very good at homemade pizza just recently -- within the last 6 months -- and pizza's one of my faves. I made it last night because I didn't feel like messing with anything and it's pretty quick and easy. (For all you diehard 811ers out there, no, my family's not raw. I do give my kids tons of fruit and veggies, but they're basically lactos.) I knew when I made the decision to make pizza that I would just need to leave. Sauce of sundried tomatoes homemade from our garden, with fresh oregano, basil and rosemary. Yum. I thought to myself, "You haven't actually announced that blog to the world yet, just have the pizza!" But I didn't. I left instead.

I've been frustrated with my energy level because I feel my thyroid dipping again. I missed a dose by mistake last week, so that may be part of it; maybe it's catching up with me. But then I'm scared that, with an autoimmune inflammation, if I improve my immune system maybe it will attack my thyroid more and continue the decline. I think I just have to take a wait-and-see approach now.

Today's Stats:
Food:
  • Peppermint tea with honey
  • Smoothie: 16 oz strawberries, 4 dates, 3 bananas
  • 1 cup red grapes and 4 red bananas
  • 2.5 cups red grapes
  • 2 red bananas, about 6 sticks of celery
  • 2 green kiwis, 1 gold kiwi, 3 bites of a tasteless avocado, about 8 walnut halves

10 comments:

Sarah said...

You're doing great, Stacy! The social thing does get easier. I still can appreciate the smells and sights of cooked food but I don't usually feel like I'm on the verge of running to the table, grabbing some and shoving it in my mouth anymore. LOL. :) Just be silent about your diet and after awhile when you're starting to feel better and look amazing people will notice and, well, when you feel great and look great, what is there to say really? :)

Take care and hang in there!

Rachel said...

Hi Stacy! Looks like we started blogging about 811rv around the same time! I wish you the best on your journey!
Love,
Rachel
www.rawencore.blogspot.com

Stacy said...

Thanks, Sarah, for your encouragement.

And thanks, Rachel, for letting me know I'm not the only one! Best wishes! I'm reading your blog now ...

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Stacy! :)
I love reading about your progress. It can be so challenging with a cooked family. It's extra rewarding when you're able to say no to the temptations, especially when you have to be so hands-on with them! Keep up the great work, and I'll be reading.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Sounds like you're doing great. Your sleepiness might be because you're not eating enough. I don't know what you weigh, but if you're doing a lot of exercise, the amount of food you're eating seems pretty small.


Anyway,
Best of luck

Stacy said...

Hi Harmony! Nice to hear from you. I've read so much about you on Sarah's blog (the first one I came across) but haven't gotten to yours yet. I'm really looking forward to reading it here soon.

Stacy said...

Andrew, you're probably right. I'm having issues because I'm actually not greatly attracted to the food yet. I'm force feeding those bananas as much as possible. Thanks for the comment, and, yes, I'm working on it. :-)

Connie said...

Hi Stacy!
I heard about you on Sarah's blog. I loved your story of raw food get-togethers, far too true! lol!

We are all in this together, to hold each other's hands through the rough times, and applaud the good ones. I have added you to my 811 blog roll and will be checking back often!

You can visit us on Banana Island, or at the Naked Food Cafe. :)

Best Wishes!
Connie

Ken said...

I have been raw now for 25 days and feeling great. Just learning about 80/10/10. Is it okay for diabetics toeat the bananas?? Keep going, you are an inspiration!!

Ken -- http://30days2health.wynnhealthnet.com

Stacy said...

Ken, thanks! You're an inspiration too! I am not at all qualified to give anyone advice about medical issues, and haven't done any reading on diabetes myself, for that matter. I have heard a lot about people getting off insulin, particularly Type II diabetics, through the raw diet, but know nothing about the specific parameters of what works or what doesn't.

I think Doug Graham or Hippocrates Institute are folks who would have a lot of experience in the diabetes area. I would check with them (or read their books) to get an idea.

Best of luck!