Monday, October 15, 2007

Minus One and Counting

It's the night before my new adventure. I've been experimenting enough with the 80/10/10 raw diet enough to know that this is the thing that has the greatest potential to turn my life around. I was first introduced to raw foods in 2001. Although I did not at first learn very much about it, the concept resonated strongly with me, as someone who has always battled food addiction and cravings. Sure, raw food is the natural food for humans, I reasoned, but I could never do that.

I've tried the "eat anything as long as it's raw" diet on and off many times, but could never manage it for longer than a couple of months at a time. There's a phrase in 12-step circles (a philosophy I don't personally buy into much but I have attended 12-step food programs at times) about "letting go absolutely". I always had the sense that I had never let go absolutely, and never really felt all those 12-steppers had either necessarily. I think 80/10/10 is about letting go absolutely. I so want my freedom; I am ready. So I will embark on this journey in the morning, after tonight's meal of about a pound (ugh!) of paneer tikka, one of my old favorites. (In case you're wondering, yes, I've felt gross all evening.) I'm jumping off the cliff as I sleep tonight, and tomorrow and probably the next few weeks at least will feel like free-fall, as I abandon my old familiar crutches that have only heaped misery on my shoulders.

My biggest goal is to get off of thyroid meds, which I've been on for about a year, and also to not have to take the adrenal and pituitary meds that my endocrinologist is thinking about putting me on. In other words, I'm trying to "cure" myself of an "incurable disease" that's considered autoimmune (hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's Thyroiditis). Just a few days last week on 80/10/10 had me up before the sun and even before my 2 and 4-year olds. Now that truly IS a miracle. In this I have discovered that there is hope of a release from this nightmare of declining health at the age of 36.

If you're reading this, please feel free to let me know by posting a comment. If you prefer for me not to post it to the site, just say so and I won't post it publicly. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: